Essential Caravan Checklist and Pre Travel Checks
It can feel overwhelming with everything you need to do in preparation for a trip in your Caravan, Camper Trailer or RV! CaravanMods have put together the below Caravan checklist to help you make sure you’re prepared for your next Caravan adventure!
Pre Travel Checks
- Check your smoke alarm - Replace the battery if needed
- Check you’ve got enough gas in your Gas Bottles
- Check Caravan Spare Tyre and Jack
- Check Car Spare Tyre and Jack
- Check you’ve got enough water in your Water Tanks
- Install a water tank level sensor and gauge to always know how much water is left in your Tank!
- Ensure you plug your Caravan in with enough time to charge!
- Connect your Caravan 15A Extension Lead to your 10A domestic socket using a 15A - 10A adapter
- Book the Car in for a service if its due!
- Check your Electric Brakes work (If fitted)
Caravan Travel Packing List
Use our list below to ensure you don't forget the key Caravan essentials.
Our Tip: We have a copy of this packing list saved in the notes app on our phone, this acts as the 'Master' Caravan Travel Packing List. In the lead up to a trip we take a copy of the master list and put it into a new note labelled appropriately e.g. Sydney Caravan Road Trip. In this new note we remove out any items which aren't relevant. For example the items you need for a trip to the snow will be different to the items you need for a trip to Sydney! We can always add items to the master list and be confident we'll remember them on your next adventure.
Feel free to add to the below list as you go to ensure it's complete for you!
Essential Caravan Accessories
- Caravan Drinking Water Hose
- Caravan Waste Hose
- 15A Caravan Extension Lead
- Caravan Tow Mirrors
- Wheel Chocks
- Levelling Ramps
- Key Lock Box (Great to have if you're going swimming and need to leave the keys somewhere dry & secure)
- Trestle Table
- Camp Chairs
- Screw in Tent Pegs
- Portable BBQ & Gas Bottle
- Fire Pit / Firewood
- Phone Chargers (240V or 12V Chargers )
- 10A Extension Cord & Power Board for inside the Van
- Torch/Head Torch
- Camera & Travel Tripod
- Kindle & Charger
- Tool Kit (Portable Drill, Socket Set, Fasteners & Hammer)
- Card / Board games
- Dry Bags
- Fishing Rods, Tackle, Bait, Landing Net
- Step Ladder
- Sport Equipment
- Rain Coat
- 12V Fans
- Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Spray & Wipe + Paper Towel
- Waste Bucket
- Pegs & Clothesline
- Bin Liners
- $1/$2 Coins for Laundry
- Beach Towels
- Shower Towels
- Bed Linen (Fitted Sheet, standard sheet, Blanket)
We hope this helps you prepare your travel packing essentials on your next caravan adventure. We always recommend that before you do your first big trip, make sure you do a couple of smaller trips to figure out what you're missing or what can stay at home next time, but remember to update your Caravan checklist!
Cheap Caravan Accessories vs Quality?
When deciding on what Caravan essentials to buy think about quality versus cost and how they'll be used!
How much you should spend might by influenced by;
- How often you're going to use it, If you're only going to be using it a few times a year cheaper gear might do!
- If you're planning to be on the road frequently or for longer periods of time, invest in gear made to last!
- Consider the function behind what you're buying! If its a critical component or if its safety orientated don't skimp on quality!