Whether you’re an avid camper or a first-timer, there’s no denying that camping is one of the most exhilarating outdoor activities. You can give yourself a chance to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of daily life and embrace nature.
At CaravanMods, we understand that for regular or new campers alike, settling in outside the comforts of your home can be an adjustment. In this one-stop guide, we'll provide the ultimate packing guide to ensure a stress-free and comfortable camping experience.
Camping packing list
- Plan your trip
Before you consider packing, it’s time to plan your trip! That means deciding your destination and researching the weather during your stay so you know what type of clothing to pack. Decide how long you’ll be staying and what activities you’ll do. Create a camping packing list of all your essentials and divide them into organised categories, from shelter to clothes, cooking and safety equipment.
At CaravanMods, we understand — particularly for new campers — that you want to make sure you’ve packed everything you need for a safe, smooth trip ahead. That’s why we’ve taken the time to create a camping packing list you can slowly check off to ensure you’ve packed all your essentials. From your sleeping supplies to toiletries, cooking gear, emergency toolkits and more, we’re here to talk you through what to pack in your caravan from our incredible selection of camping supplies at CaravanMods.
- Rest up with shelter and sleeping gear
Your shelter and sleeping gear are your number one priority when wondering what to pack in your caravan. That includes:
- Tent — Select a suitable tent for your group's size and weather conditions. Ensure it's in good condition, with all necessary poles and stakes.
- Sleeping bag — Choose a sleeping bag well-suited to the season and climate and opt for a compression sack to save some extra space.
- Sleeping pad or air mattress —These provide insulation and comfort. Opt for a self-inflating pad or compact air mattress.
- Pillow — Don't forget a small inflatable or compressible pillow for added comfort.
- Caravan awnings — Our selection of anti-flappers will protect your caravan in high winds and let you enjoy a peaceful slumber.
- Pack your clothes
Grab your bag and get ready to tick clothes off your camping packing list. Pack based on the season and weather forecast. For the ultimate caravan packing hack, consider the order you would put on your clothes and plan your outfits daily. Bring extra socks and underwear, followed by active wear for activities, t-shirts, shorts, long-sleeve tops, pants, sweaters or jackets. Even if you travel in Summer, we strongly recommend packing at least one warm outfit in case things cool down.
Weatherproof outer layers like a moisture-wicking jacket, gloves, sunglasses and a hat protect you from the sun or rain. Don't forget comfortable and sturdy hiking boots or shoes for ample foot support for all your adventures. Include a swimsuit and a lightweight, quick-drying towel if water activities are on the agenda.
You can even handwash your clothes in your caravan and use our pegless clothesline when travelling for extended periods.
- Time for toiletries
When spending time in Mother Nature, away from the luxuries of your home, it’s more important than ever to keep on top of your hygiene. If you’re wondering what to pack in your caravan for all your bathroom essentials, we’ve got you sorted. Pack your toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, hand sanitiser, skin care products, deodorant, hair care, sanitary products, sunscreen and aloe vera if you experience sunburn.
- Prepare to cook up a storm
When people think of camping, often their minds go to the concept of “roughing it” with canned beans and a spoon. We’re here to tell you you’re sorely mistaken! Caravan cooking can be a breeze with the right cookware and appliances. Here's what to pack for cooking and food:
- Camp stove — Invest in a reliable camp stove for cooking meals. Ensure you have enough fuel.
- Cookware — Pack lightweight pots, pans and utensils suitable for camp cooking.
- Food — Plan your meals and bring non-perishable food items like dehydrated meals, canned goods and snacks. For the best caravan packing hack for food, opt for our Original Bushman portable fridge/freezer that’s height-adjustable with our unique 35-52L extension kit. You can even separate your frozen goods from fresh produce and bottles. You should also have rubbish bags handy to dispose of your waste.
- Water — Carry an adequate water supply or a purification system if you'll be sourcing water from natural sources.
- Safety first!
Particularly when travelling to remote areas, you must remain diligent in the event of an accident. Follow this packing guide to stay prepared for your next camping adventure:
First aid kit — Purchase an all-inclusive first aid kit from your local pharmacy that includes bandages, antiseptic wipes, pain relievers and tweezers. You should also pack any necessary personal medications, from pain medication to anti-nausea travel medication, Hydralyte if you get an upset stomach and whatever else you need.
Fire-making tools — Bring waterproof matches or a lighter and a firestarter to start a campfire. To take your camping up a notch, opt for our LED camping strip lighting for added visibility.
- Multi-tool or knife — This is useful to keep handy if needed.
- Phone charger — Nowadays, your phone is your life support, with everything from your maps to contacts, a flashlight and more. A fully charged mobile phone with a portable power bank can be a lifesaver.
- Miscellaneous items
Here are some other things to consider when ticking off your camping packing list:
- Entertainment — While camping is an opportunity to unwind and enjoy the moment, it doesn’t hurt to arrive ready with some items to keep you entertained. Pack a book, playing cards or a travel-sized board game for all your loved ones to enjoy.
- Repair kit — Include duct tape, a sewing kit and specific gear repair items for added security.
- Campsite permits and documentation — Don't forget any required permits or reservations.
- Campsite storage — Our campsite storage will keep all your camping gear neatly organised for the drive ahead. That includes storage bags to organise your electrical, waste and water hoses.
Shop from CaravanMods for all your camping essentials
Effective packing is the cornerstone of a successful camping trip. By carefully planning your adventure and packing thoughtfully, you can prepare yourself for it all when travelling to remote areas. So, grab your travel bag and confidently embark on your next camping adventure, knowing you've packed all the essentials for a memorable outdoor experience. If you have any questions, contact our team, who would gladly assist.